¬ Meet Annie Solomon
¬ Read Excerpts
¬ Contest
¬ News
¬ How The Heck...?
¬ Photos
¬ Newsletters
¬ Contact Annie
¬ Home

Grand Central Cafe
BLOG
--------------------

Still Available

Dead Shot

Blackout

Hot Pursuit

Blind Curve

Tell Me No Lies

Dead Ringer

Like A Knife
--------------------

 

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pick Your Post

So, I was reading the latest Soap Opera Digest, and yes, Virginia, I do love my Digest...

Anyway, my favorite part of the mag is the "ask the stars" question. They ask a bunch of soap actors the same question and record their response. This week, in honor of the inauguration, they asked: If you could be apppointed a cabinet post in the new administration, what would it be?



They got serious answers (Secretary of Defense from Grayson McCouch, whose mother is Israeli),





to practical (Secretary of Jury Duty from Nancy Grahn, who evidently has a nit to pick with the way jury duty works),




to completely fantastical (Secretary of Can't Everyone Just Get Along from I don't remember who).


So...I had to ask. What post would I want?

The honest answer is none. Way, way, way too much pressure.

But if I HAD to choose--you know, if they put me up against a wall and threatened to shoot me--I'd have to say Secretary of Escapism. I'd abolish realistic (re: unhappy) endings, regulate the media so there's at least twenty minutes a day of good news, and legislate a new kind of Happy Hour for everyone where they can laugh and be entertained and forget about sorrow, grief, and despair.

Wonder what everyone else would choose if they could.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

I want to be Secretary of Soap Opera Dialogue and Grammar. If I hear "I" used instead of "me" when it's appropriate, I might throw up.

eg: Starr: My father is so mean to Cole and I. WRONG WRONG WRONG!

January 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger Annie Solomon said...

You make me laugh, MN!!! As if we watch the soaps for correct ANYTHING, let alone grammar!

But really, wouldn't it be fun to do "pop-up" grammar like VH-1 did with their Pop-Up Video? Every time someone on the soaps "mispronunciated" (to use a Bushism), a pop-up would appear indicating "Wrong" and giving the correction. I'm sure fans would luuuuv that....

I gotta add, tho, never would've thought you so grammatically fastidious!

And as long as we're on the subject...if you were Sec'y of SOD&G, I'd ask you to ban the phrase, "We have to talk...".

January 16, 2009 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Secretary to the Secretary to the Under Secretary of Sitting Around Complaining About Stuff. One, because I'm good already doing it, and two, because it doesn't sound like there's be much paperwork, although there might be a lot of competition for that particular position. A lot of people are qualified.

January 16, 2009 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I love the idea of Secretary of Escapism!

LOL, love Jody's too.

Okay, a fantastical one would be Secretary of Stop the Damn Whining. OMG, am I sick of whining.

Seriously, though, I'd pick Secretary of the Interior so I be over the areas I'm passionate about -- the National Park Service, the Fish & Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management and the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

January 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Annie Solomon said...

Jody, you might have a LOT of competition for that one. I can just imagine the Senate hearings...

January 17, 2009 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger Annie Solomon said...

You'd be good at that job, Trish. It's always good to do work one is passionate about. I guess if Secretary of Escapism wasn't available I could be your counterpart in the Secretary of Buildings and Concrete...Oh, and shopping, of course.

January 17, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 Return to Top


© 2003-2008 Annie Solomon
Powered by LionZone
Contact Webmaster
Hosted by www.writerspace.com